TelecomDirect News Daily Update - July 13, 2006

******************************** PricewaterhouseCoopers Presents The TelecomDirect News Daily Update For July 13, 2006 ********************************

The Adaptive Corporation

formatting link
The world of business is constantly changing, and the pace of that change is rising sharply. There are no longer any certainties in today's globalised world. Change is happening in three different dimensions and the successful corporation of the future must be capable of managing all of them. Technological change: Technological...

Carriers Try Back Door State Pre-emption

formatting link
Washington -- Wireless carriers are still courting the FCC on state pre-emption even as Congress addresses the issue in its rewrite of the Telecommunications Act, but the opportunity to get extra protection from state regulators is narrowing. The U.S. House of Representatives passed its version of the legislation in early June -- without...

Microsoft, Yahoo Test Instant Messaging Partnership

formatting link
SEATTLE -- Microsoft Corp. and Yahoo Inc. are beginning a limited test of plans to make their instant messaging systems work together. The much-vaunted pairing comes a bit later than the two companies had originally hoped. The project was delayed because Microsoft wanted to make sure the systems would work well with both...

Sony Ericsson Net Profits Surge to $143 Million in Q2

formatting link
STOCKHOLM, Sweden -- Mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson said Thursday that second-quarter earnings almost doubled, in large part due to continued strong sales of its popular Walkman music phones, and it raised its global market forecast for 2006. The world's No. 5 handset maker said net profit rose 91 percent to euro 143...

VimpelCom Acquires Georgian Mobile Operator

formatting link
Russian mobile operator VimpelCom has entered the Georgian mobile market, with the acquisition of GSM 1800 operator Mobitel. VimpelCom has acquired a 51% stake in Mobitel, for US$12.6 million, with a call option for the remaining 49%. Although Mobitel has not yet begun commercial operations its licences are valid until 2013, and...

Regulatory Pressures Set to Hit TP's Revenues, Good News for Alternative Telcos

formatting link
According to the UKE, the planned regulatory changes could shed some 1.8-2.7 billion zloty (US$564.5-846.5 million), or 1.0-1.5%, of TP's top-line revenue. The competition is also likely to hit its EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) margin, which currently stands at 45%, against the industry average...

Vodafone Cobbles Together SME Convergence Offering

formatting link
Vodafone, refocusing its efforts on the small- to medium-size enterprise (SME) sector in the U.K., has unveiled a set of services it's dubbed 'Mobility Solutions for Business', combining fixed and mobile services in one package to support users who work in the office, from home or remotely. Analysts quickly thumbed...

Multiple Antennas Key to Mobile B'band

formatting link
Mobile operators will have no choice but to evolve from single antenna cell site coverage to multiple antenna systems as they strive to keep up with wireline network access data rates, according to a new Heavy Reading report, "The Future of Mobile Broadband."  WiMax is already specified to support multiple antenna...

Verizon VP Says There's Time for Telecom Bill

formatting link
WASHINGTON -- One of Verizon Communications' top executives is confident that telecom legislation could make it through Congress this year, despite tight timing between now and the end of the year. Verizon Communications Executive Vice President and former Congressman Tom Tauke says that the light regulatory approach that was...

TelecomDirect Editor Copyright (C) 2006 PricewaterhouseCoopers.

Reply to
Loading thread data ... Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.