[telecom] Target: Hack may have hit 40 million accounts

Target: Hack may have hit 40 million accounts

Holiday shopping itself can be stressful enough. Now Target adds to the angst with news of a widespread theft of customers' credit and debit card data.

by Lance Whitney December 19, 2013

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Bruce Schneier pointed out that people use credit cards online for the simple reason that the law in the U.S. limits their liability to $300. Debit cards are in a different category, but most banks will absorb loses due to fraud.

Bill

Bill Horne Moderator

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, Bill, this is one fact Bruce has wrong as do most newspapers' reporters whom I have to constantly correct here in Silicon Valley (San Francisco Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, Los Altos Town Crier, Mountain View Voice, Palo Alto Online, and more).

There have been new Federal laws regarding debit cards for for quite some time now:

formatting link

which cites the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA):

formatting link

and the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA):

formatting link

Plus, my bank, Bank of America, has "Zero Liability Protection" as you can see:

formatting link

formatting link

For all intents and purposes, debit cards are as "safe" as credit cards and perhaps more so due to also having to enter a PIN code whereas a credit card can be stolen and used by anyone.

Thad

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Not really. For one thing, most people use debit cards as swipe and signature, just like credit cards. Banks prefer this because the fee is higher than for PIN entry mode. Some prepaid cards don't even have a PIN.

For another, you have to report debit card fraud within two days for the $50 fraud limit to apply, while for credit cards it's considerably longer, at least until you get the statement. Some banks say they will waive some of your liability, but anyone who believes what Bank of America says deserves what they (don't) get.

Most important, with a credit card, the money for the charge you are disputing is in YOUR account, while with a debit card it is in THEIR account. You still get the best protection by using a no-fee credit card and paying your balance in full every month (less, of course, any disputed charges.)

R's, John

PS: Chip+PIN cards are different, but they are still used approximately nowhere in the United States.

Reply to
John Levine

So, I go to Target about 3 times a year. I shopped there 12/4. What a PITA. My card can ONLY be used as a debit card and I'll be getting a new one sometime in the next 10 days.

I got generally caught in the TJX breach and now I get hosed in the Target deal.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Which is pretty clear that you have potentially unlimited liablity if someone steals your debit card information, and you don't report it promptly. There's no such onus on credit card fruad reporting.

Not at all true. Even if your bank makes good your losses, you're out the money while they investigate, which means you can't use it for other purposes, which may mean you can't pay your bills. (And in my experience, that can take a week even when there was no dispute about what was fraud.) With a credit card, you only potentially have part of your credit limit tied up, not your actual money. That's a substantial difference.

Banks typically also have less sophisticated fraud detection systems on debit accounts, because it's your money at risk, not theirs. So transactions that would throw red flags for credit cards don't with debit cards.

Reply to
David Scheidt

True.

But when the card is used as a PIN debit card, some merchants will give you cash back and no fee. That is, if your purchase is $75, you ask for $25 in cash back, and they'll charge your card $100 for the transaction, with the $25 listed as change. This is a nice convenience.

Sadly, very true.

True. One way to protect yourself with debit cards is to limit the maximum usage amount to a fairly low value. This way, if the card is stolen the thief can't do too much damage. But I agree with the above, it's better to use a no-fee credit card for the reasons stated.

Reply to
HAncock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.