Teacher resigns over Facebook posting [telecom]

Teacher resigns over Facebook posting Called Cohasset residents snobby

By Sydney Lupkin, Globe Correspondent | August 19, 2010

When the Cohasset School Committee discovered this week that an administrator had posted Facebook comments disparaging residents of the South Shore town as snobby and arrogant, the reaction was swift.

Unhappy parents e-mailed the committee, alerting members to the postings by June Talvitie-Siple, said Alfred Slanetz, vice chairman of the committee. Talvitie-Siple was asked to resign within 24 hours, and she stepped down Tuesday.

"The unfortunate thing is that it's a lesson that we try to teach our kids about use of the Internet,'' Slanetz said yesterday. "It almost doesn't matter if it's on the Web or in a newspaper these days. . . . It's all out there.''

Talvitie-Siple was the supervisor for engineering, math, science, and technology at Cohasset High School. She had just received a $4,000 raise, boosting her salary to about $92,000, said School Committee member Linda Snowdale.

Talvitie-Siple's Facebook profile was no longer publicly available yesterday, but the Patriot-Ledger of Quincy reported Wednesday that Talvitie-Siple wrote she was "so not looking forward to another year at Cohasset Schools,'' calling residents "so arrogant and snobby.''

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

As a longtime Boston-area resident, I can truthfully say that residents of Cohasset are no more arrogant and snobby than anyone else who lives on the "Irish Riviera" -

formatting link
Since the Irish are God's chosen people, I submit that we are big enough to take a little ribbing from a school teacher, but also entitled to be mad about her salary. The Cardinal (pun intended) Rule of Civil Service is to keep out of the limelight: as the legions of teachers, administrators, assistants, supervisory assistants, and assistant senior administrative assistants will attest, it's nice work if you can get it, but you must _never_ forget whose name is on the door.

Bill "Not Mine" Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.