T-Mobile's Effective and Quietly Disruptive Wi-Fi Phone [Telecom]

T-Mobile's Effective and Quietly Disruptive Wi-Fi Phone

Written by Bernard Lunn September 18, 2009 1:00 PM

There are those old-fashioned folks who still prefer to talk by phone, believing that "synchronous audio communication" is sometimes better than email or even - gasp - Twitter. The problem is cost, particularly for those not tethered to a land line or a laptop with Skype. Paying for 1,000 cell phone minutes per month is not exactly recession-friendly. So, is there an alternative to jail-breaking your iPhone or waiting for Apple and AT&T to file for divorce? Yes, there is, and I have been using it for a couple of months now in three different countries, and it works a treat. Here is my user report.

What T-Mobile Offers

• Limited choice of mobile phones. I chose the BlackBerry, because I'm used to it. No, T-Mobile doesn't offer the iPhone!
  • Wi-Fi phone and data on your mobile. This is the interesting bit. Basically, wherever you have Wi-Fi, you will have free minutes.
  • GPRS, which is what you would use if you don't have access to Wi-Fi.
  • Wi-Fi land line. This looks like an ordinary phone but connects to your high-speed line as a VoIP phone. Other companies offer this, but getting the whole bundle from your cell phone provider is pretty cool.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.