Senator backing anti-crypto bill calls out Zoom's lack of end-to-end crypto [telecom]

Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal dings Zoom for false end-to-end crypto claim.

By Dan Goodin

Richard Blumenthal, the US senator sponsoring a bill that critics say will limit the use of encryption, is calling for an investigation of video-conference provider Zoom, in part over its false claim it offered... end-to-end encryption.

formatting link

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've been trying for a week now to get a Google Apps password recovered(1), so that members of an important organization can once again use the conference and other capabilities - including video conference - of the Google technology.

I was on a video meeting the other day, talking to other members of my Quaker meeting. The meetnig was conducted using Zoom because one of the participants has an Apple computer which would not work with Google Hangousts. I suppose end-to-end encryption would have been nice in that case, but that's not what worries me.

I was on a different video conferene last night: a training session for members of my Amateur radio club, to introduce we old ham operators to the capabilities of Cisco's video conference software.

I am leery of things that happen too fast - but COVID-19 is causing a mass-migration to video conferencing apps, and along with that migration comes a raft of as-yet-unanswered questions.

I'm concerned about the way consumers and businesses will settle on one vendor or technology, and then refuse, without reason, to change to a bettter alternative. Zoom might or might not win the current sprint to grow most quickly, but no matter which company gets the most mileage out of COVID_19, there will remain a whole bunch of privacy and other legal issues, and I worry that things which need a careful public debate will be shoehorned into a one-size-fits-all solution that will become a de-facto standard.

Bill

1. If anyone on the GAPPS help team reads this, please get in touch.
Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.