Scam in UK: Mobile Contract Expiring

Hello,

Just a warning to all.

There is a scam whereby people will call you on your mobile saying that your contract is due to expire at the end of this month. They will not call you by name, and try to phish information out of you. Do NOT give them any information whatsoever. Once they have any account details from you they can impersonate you and charge calls to your phone or approve of calls with you unaware.

Here's a sample phone number that called: +447737951756

If you try calling the number back it will not be registered, but that's what turned up on my mobile.

As a caution, remember to never give out information. Just like when receiving an email asking for passwords and account information, a mobile company would not ask you for that unless you call them.

1) See if they call you by name when you answer (if not, probably a scam). They should have your details on record.

2) Know when your contract will expire. (Saying your contract is to expire is often a scam.) Normally contracts work by auto-renewal with the customer having to NOT renew a contract.

3) If they ask for any personal information, tell them they have it on file. If they pry for information, ask them to provide you with a phone number to call them back. If they do not want to give you one, it's usually a scam.

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: We get a lot of that same crapola here in the USA also. Cell phone spamscam has gotten to be almost as bad as the internet variety. Frankly, I seldom even answer the phone any more if I do not recognize the calling number. PAT]
Reply to
Nodak
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.