Re: When is TDMA Being Phased Out?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The word from Mike Alexander, Cingular

> Wireless customer service/sales manager here in Independence is that > it will s-l-o-w-l-y disappear a tower at a time. I switched my > personal phone from TDMA to GSM ....

Could someone describe what is "TDMA" and "GSM" in layman's terms? I presume these are communication protocols and are not compatible with each other. Is one analog?

Do other carriers (ie Verizon) use them or other protocols? Does Verizon have any protocols that are going away?

I guess now there are three big cellular companies -- Verizon, Cingular, and VoiceStream? Is Sprint still independent or did they merge?

I get the impression all three companies are actually a hodgepodge of smaller companies they acquired and merged into along the way. That means service quality of a particular carrier will vary greatly from one part of the country to another, just as landline service varies greatly. (In Verizon particularly which is made up of many different companies).

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Sprint merged with Nextel recently, or bought them out, one or the other. Nextel at present is totally useless around this area in Kansas; however Sprint is a big thing. I suppose the merger will bring Nextel around here soon. PAT]
Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.