Re: What Happened to Me

You know of course that the cell phone system in Europe is different

> from the US. Here, there are signs at the front door of all hospitals > (and in many places inside) saying 'Mobile phones MUST be switched > off'. The idea is that they can interfere with various medical > equipment. I don't know if that is true, or if it is like the > prohibition on airplanes -- but in any case, that's the rule. And most > people follow it. > Having said that -- my wife is a nurse and in her hospital the staff > do have cell phones. They are called DECT and apparently they use a > sub-set of the frequency band that is sure to not conflict with all > the monitors, analyzers, etc. in the building. > Can the public use their own personal mobile phones in American > hospitals?

Interesting. I recently had to visit my ailing grandmother in the intensive care unit of a local hospital. No warnings about cell phones and in fact saw staff use them.

So I'd say yes, we can use our cell ph> John McHarry wrote:

> >>> I knew I had _something_ still wrong with me when I came back from >>> Jane Phillips Medical Center in Bartlesville, but I attributed it to >>> continued weakness from the heart attack. I still had very labored >>> breathing, (sort of an emphsezma/COPT condition) and was using oxygen >>> when I slept at night. But I _assumed_ it was all under control. It >>> now appears I had pneumonia when I was admitted to Jane Phillips; >>> Mercy Hospital (here in Independence) had assumed I would stay in JP >>> until all was cured; JP on the other hand wanted to first deal with my >>> heart attack (and the stent they put in me) as the first priority, >>> then they sent me back home figuring I would deal with the pneumonia >>> on an outpatient basis with Mercy. >> If the system you describe in Independence were linked with the >> Bartlesville system, presuming they have one, that wouldn't have >> happened. Information handling in medicine is really culpably poor. >>> OB-TELECOM and MERCY HOSPITAL DATACOM: _Everything_ at Mercy Hospital >>> is computerized. Everytime a human being came into my room to >>> variously change the antibiotic bag or feed me some pills or pound my >>> back or for that matter to dump my piss-pot urinal in the toilet they >>> would make entries on a lap top computer they brought with them and >>> plugged into a connection in my room. >>> ...and he said among other things, it did remove >>> the possibility of 'human error' in noting the administration of >>> drugs to the patients, etc. >> It certainly reduces it, but I don't believe it eliminates it. Let's also >> hope they have the system properly backed up and decoupled from any >> Internet access. >>> Not a single _wired_ phone where staff is concerned. Patient phones >>> were wired, of course, but every staff person had a cellular phone. >>> They called them 'hospital phones', and claimed they were on a >>> different frequency than cellular; to me they just appeared to be >>> cellular phones, and not their personal cells either. They would >>> answer them _by their department name_ even when in patient rooms. On >>> the roof of the main hospital building here and there I would see >>> little antennas stuck around everywhere, that is what they worked >>> with I guess. >> It doesn't sound like the building is very tall, but if it is one of >> the taller structures in the area, it may well rent out antenna >> space. Also hospitals tend to have pager systems, links with various >> other emergency services, etc. The few of them I have been on the roof >> of had fairly impressive antenna farms. >>> Even though these 'hospital' (really cellular?) phones >>> looked and acted like cell phones in general, I noticed that when >>> they had occassion to call another employee or department they only >>> punched out four digits as though it was an extension. >> That could work either way. It is possible for cellular systems to >> implement Centrex groups with internal dialing plans. >>> Dr. Higknight's phone was the same way, four digits dialed got him >>> the intake department across the street at the hospital, and '9' got >>> him an outside line. His phone was a 'hospital' (cellular?) phone as >>> well. >> If they don't think it is cellular, it still might be some variation of >> it. If they want to cover the entire town, it would almost have to be, but >> if it only needs to work near the hospital, it might be some sort of >> standalone system. The latter would have the distinct advantage of being >> less likely to saturate in an emergency, or of being able to implement >> precedence and pre-emption, like military systems at least used to do. >>> Well, that's what I have doing all this past week. >> Sounds like you were better entertained than anyone, yourself most of >> all, would have wished. Glad to have you back. > Moto and others sell cell phone technology based private systems. They > work especially well in places like hospitals. Look for little 1' or > shorter antennas in the halls. The nice thing about cell technology is > that it can be designed for a limited area such as a hospital and the > surrounding support businesses. And can easily have multiple places > tied together. >> Something very odd, to me at least: In 150 years, Independence has >> never once been directly hit by a tornado. They say that is because we >> are in a low-lying valley area. Things sort of blow over the top of >> us. Elk City State Park, five miles west of us got hit by a very big >> tornado about a week ago however. And that one was a *weebitclose* IMO, >> as the far west side of town got some damage and -- God Forbid! -- >> even Walmart had to go into a lockdown that day for twenty minutes; no >> one admitted to or allowed to leave the store during the storm. PAT] > Tornadoes have a very small foot print compared to other weather > systems. I've been within 5 miles of a tornado 5 or 10 times in my life > yet never seen or heard one. And this covers 3 very separated homes in 2 > states. The closest I ever got was we almost bought a house when moving > to Raleigh but rented instead. The 2 weeks after moving in, a really big > tornado grazed the back yard of the house we almost bought. :) > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I understand the _height_ of buildings > in a community make a difference also. For instance, I have never seen > nor heard of a tornado in downtown Chicago (for example; is it even > possible?) nor in Manhattan, NY. I _assume_ it may have something to > do with the overall height on average of the buildings. Am I correct > on that? Our tallest buildings here in Independence are, approximatly > in this order: 'Professional Building' downtown, 6 stories; the 'Arco > Building' (also known as 'Independence Corporate Office Center'), 5 > stories; a portion of Mercy Hospital, 4 stories; 'Penn Terrace' (a > senior citizen housing complex), 6 stories; Saint Andrews Roman > Catholic Church, the Presbyterian Church, and Epiphany Episcopal Church > each of which have steeples about 50-70 feet high. And they are all > scattered about town, not right next to each other, as for example one > would see buildings along Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Unlike a place > like Chicago, where one town ends and another suburb immediatly > begins and the only thing you notice is a sign saying now leaving > suburb X and entering suburb Y, same style houses and continuing > streets, you leave one town here, go through a rural area and then come > eventually to the next town, five to fifteen or twenty miles > away. That may make a difference in air/wind patterns also. PAT]

We've had little mini tornadoes here in RI. Some have knocked bricks off buildings, etc. But those are few and far between.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.