Re: We've Come So Far ...

>> Did telephone service become cheaper before or after 1/1/1984? It's a

>> serious question, I don't know. > In general, long (both regional and national) distance and > international calls become MUCH cheaper. Pre-1984, we used to worry > about how much a call to a relative in another state would cost and > we'd keep the call as short as possible. International calls would > cost a goodly portion of the national debt. > However, a POTS line for local (or incoming) calls only has become > more expensive; it's now $20 or so instead of $6 (and that's assuming > that you have long distance disabled or you have to pay an additional > set of fees for the long distance privilege). > Fortunately, the advent of DSL, cable modems, etc. have eliminated the > need for modem lines. I once had four POTS lines (voice + three > data); now I have just one. > I understand why many of the kids choose not to have POTS service at > all. The argument about POTS being more reliable than cellular/VOIP > doesn't hold in my neighborhood; POTS *always* goes down during a > power outage (an event that happens several times a year).

Where the hell can you get basic unlimited service for only $20 a month? I'm sorry but I consider all the little 'fees' to be nothing but legal extortion.

Here in RI a basic line will run you $45 a month.

Reply to
T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.