Re: Waveguide (was "size a major consideration...") [Telecom]

|***** Moderator's Note ***** | |Given the cost of Heliax, and the losses of generic coax at 70cm, is |it possible/advisable to homebrew waveguide? A previous post mentioned |circular waveguide, and I wonder if I could feed 70cm or 23cm antennas |with waveguide made from copper pipe.

What problem are you trying to solve? If it is feed line loss in amateur applications then (IMHO of course) the best bang for the buck would be achieved by moving the front end (receive) and final output stage(s) (transmit) to the antenna. I've often thought about a little solar/battery powered tower-mount broad-band receiver with a few selectable IF sections coupled to an A/D driving a fiber downlink. Single-band tower-mount amplifiers would be much easier, though...

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

***** Moderator's Note *****

Not an option for me: I wear a brace on my leg and I can't be climbing towers anymore. Anything that I put up has to be passive, since I can't get up there to maintain electronics.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

However if something goes wrong in Canada's winters it's a lot easier to deal with the electronics if they are at ground level. Commercial quality antennas and feedline don't fail too terribly often compared to the electronics.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.