Re: Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'

formatting link

By Paul Kapustka > Courtesy of Advanced IP Pipeline > SAN FRANCISCO -- According to Vonage Holdings Corp. CEO Jeffrey > Citron, intentional blocking of Voice over IP traffic is more than > just a competitive dirty trick -- it's an act of censorship against > free speech. > In an exclusive interview here Tuesday [March 1], Vonage's chief > executive said the issue of the company's recent incident of having > some VoIP traffic blocked reaches beyond the market for IP-based voice > communications and into the realm of free speech -- and as such, > should be protected by the courts, the FCC, or by new telecom > regulation that ensures free and open access over the Internet. > "What is this [port blocking] really all about?" said Citron, who was > in San Francisco Tuesday for the Reuters Technology Summit. "It's > really censorship in a way." > Though Citron would not identify the ISP that Vonage is claiming to > have blocked its VoIP service, he did provide some additional details > about the incident, as well as some opinions on where the online world > might be headed if technologic tactics like port blocking or traffic > manipulation are not actively discouraged or made illegal. > [.....] > Citron also said that some of Vonage's customers involved in the > incident called their ISP, which admitted it was blocking Vonage. > "They [the ISP] came out and said [to the customers] 'yes, we are > doing this.' So there is no dispute," Citron said. "We were > intentionally, willfully, blocked." > Full story at:

formatting link

How to Distribute VoIP Throughout a Home: >
formatting link
> If you live in Michigan, subscribe to the MI-Telecom group: >
formatting link

In the sited article, Citron says: "What are people using broadband to do? Communicate," Citron said. "They [network operators who block VoIP] are restricting your ability to communicate with another person. And that's censorship."

I dislike port blocking as much as the next guy. However, I have to ask: is there any possibility for such an argument to stick or is he simply posing? I'm no expert but I don't think the 1st amendment cares about the technology of your bullhorn does it?

Regards,

Dean

Reply to
Dean
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.