Re: Using Comcast to Host Web Site

I developed a web site and would like to host it with my own computer

> at home. I am thinking using Comcast Cable broadband as my ISP. Does > Comcast allow web host? Anyone has experience? Anyone has any other ISP > suggestions? I am in California.

You really need to reconsider. I gave up hosting on my own computer several years ago. There was a literally continuous stream of attacks from around the world. Even though I was using a Linux based machine as my host, it was still a pain to review the logs and keep up with all the patches. I shudder to think what it would be like on a Windows machine.

Comcast used to ban hosting on local machines. Don't know if they've relaxed that or not.

Comcast does allocate some web space for home users on their servers, but you do have to go to the control panel and activate it. Not sure what their rules are regarding business use and the amount of bandwidth they permit though.

I would recommend a hosting company like

formatting link
They sell very reliable low volume web hosting for a few dollars a month. No security hassles and they have really easy upgrades for bandwidth and space if you need it.

(No connection, no referral -- just a satisfied customer.)

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.