Re: Travelling From USA to Brazil: Need Cell Phone

Hello,

> I have a Nokia CDMA phone that I currently use with Verizon in USA. > I will be visiting Brazil in the next couple of weeks, and then > Thailand in September and would like to have the use of a cell phone > while I am in those countries. > My understanding is that I need to get hold of an 'unlocked' quad band > cell phone and then, when I am in those countries, buy a SIM card from > a local provider.

If you intend to keep your Verizon service a "quad band" phone will be more than overkill. Brazil uses GSM at 900 Mhz and at 1800 Mhz. If you intend to continue to use your Verizon service back in the US the prudent thing would be to buy a dual band 900/1800 phone such as is marketed in Europe and in Asia. If on the other hand you were to change to another provider such as cingular or T-Mobile a triband or quad band phone would be useful to you as it would be useable in both North American (USA/Canada and some South American countries) and in Europe and Asia as well. If you have no intention of changing US carriers a triband or quad band phone is really an unneeded expense and will be a a waste of your money.

A triband phone with 900/1800/1900 would likely work for you as well. A quad band phone is not necessary unless you are going to switch carriers in the US.

Is this correct? > If it is, how can I get hold of an unlocked quad band cell phone?

eBay or sometimes you can find them on craigslist. You can pay full retail from places such as expansys.com.

For information about prepaid in Brazil go to:

formatting link

For Thailand:

formatting link
(just talk)

Reply to
Joseph
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.