Re: Today's Long Distance Circuits?

By how, I mean what physical medium is chosen and how is it

> routed. Do they use satellite, microwave, fibre optic, coax, > plain wire?

Whereupon Justa Lurker responded:

Depends on your choice of designated long distance carrier, and > the extent to which it owns and operates its own facilities vs. > buying capacity 'wholesale' from one of the big guys or perhaps > a "carrier's carrier" (Wiltel comes to mind here).

Or even a "carrier's carrier's carrier."

Back in the 1980s, Wiltel provided capacity to Norlight, which in turn provided capacity to IXCs. At the time, Norlight was owned by a consortium of Minnesota- and Wisconsin-based electric utility companies. Most of the network was constructed using grounded Optical Ground Wire (OPGW) installed at the top of the electric transmission lines owned by the member utility companies. OPGW is a metallic (usually aluminum-clad steel) conductor with optical fibers buried inside; it is installed at the top of a transmission line in place of a static wire, where it serves the same purpose as the static wire -- protecting lower conductors from lightning.

formatting link
Norlight faced a problem when it tried to extend its network to Chicago:

Commonwealth Edison Company. ComEd was not a member of the consortium that owned Norlight, so it had no financial interest in Norlight's success. ComEd's price for letting Norlight use its transmission lines was higher than Norlight was willing to pay.

So Norlight turned to Wiltel instead. Wiltel (then a subsidiary of Williams Pipeline, a gas and petroleum transmission company) installs fiber optic cables in abandoned pipelines. Norlight contracted with Wiltel for dark fiber between Maple Park IL and Chicago, bypassing most of ComEd's transmission lines.

Thus, Wiltel became a "carrier's carrier's carrier" (and AFAIK, it still is, although since I've retired I've lost contact with the folks I used to deal with).

Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.