Re: The Heights Some People go to Avoid Telcos and Cable

Some time ago, during the height of the dot com silliness, a company (trying to raise money) proposed flying planes 24/7 over major cities which would "bounce" an internet signal to moving rooftop dishes.

I forget the name, I'm sure they're long since forgotten ... they did have a web site with complete plans and animations. Heh, it looked like something that would have come from the mind of Hugo Gernsback :)

" A blisteringly fast data downlink provided by a stratospheric > balloon floating 24,000 metres above the Earth has been tested for the > first time. > " The untethered, 12,000-cubic-metre helium balloon was tested on 31 > August for several hours. Analysis now shows the test was a success > and sent data to the ground at 1.25 gigabits per second. That is > thousands of times the capacity of a home broadband internet > connection and the first time such a link has been tested from the > stratosphere..... > [ snip ] >
formatting link
> ( and... a url in the article gets you to some video: >
formatting link
_____________________________________________________ > Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key > snipped-for-privacy@panix.com > [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]
Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.