Re: The End of the Old Bell System Colors?

Is this yet another end of an era?

Let's be clear that the "end of an era" occured way back in 1983 at the time of divesture. The old Bell System and its way of doing business went away at that time regardless of what logos, paint schemes, or names remained in use.

Before divesture, if one wanted only a low-use "plain old telephone service" it was available for just a few dollars a month. The minimum cost for such service today is many times higher, increased far more than the pace of inflation. This is partly from technology, partly from regulatory intent, partly from deregulation.

As to logos and names, in former Bell Telephone Co of Pa territory under Verizon, the colors and logos are fully Verizon. But on the side of payphones (the few remaining) is the Bell logo. In fine print on the ad inserts in the bill it says "Bell Telephone Company of Pennsylvania" or "Bell Atlantic", which are predecessor names. (I think that depends on the distribution of the ad insert.)

BTW, I just noticed another street corner payphone in my town is gone. Two Verizon pay phones remain in front of the convenience store and they do get used. There is one at the train station. A phone near the pizza place is gone. I don't know if the bar still has one in its foyer.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.