Re: Texting is Slower Than Morse

The Sydney Morning Herald reports on a challenge between 93 year old

> telegraph operator transmitting morse code to an 82 year old with a > manual typewriter, and youngsters sending a text message. The text > message was received 18 seconds after the message was already on > paper. >
formatting link
> Regards, > Colin Sutton

This is not surprising to anyone who has worked with capable Morse operators.

My first experience with them when I was writing the play-by-play for University of Oklahoma football games with a Morse operator beside me sending the copy as I wrote it. (Newspapers carried play-by-play accounts in their early editions up to the deadline for that edition in the days before there was television coverage of everything. Later editions, of course, would carry a regular story.)

Later, when I was a newsman for United Press in Dallas, which had responsibility for many college football games throughout the Southwest, we were always delighted when a Morse operator showed up with this key and sounder. For most of the games Western Union used teletypewriters with just ordinary key punchers, not usually very skilled. But the Morse operators they sometimes sent were always skilled press operators -- even at that time, in the early and middle

1950s, declining in numbers. In the very competitive news business, their usuable output was well ahead of Western Union teletypewriter operators.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.