Re: [telecom] SBC and AT&T exchange [Telecom]

> A quick look at SBC shows it no longer exists, so your hypothesis is > almost certainly correct. If a perusal of T's stockholder relations > portion of their site doesn't look promising, I'm sure they'd happily > answer an email to that department. > > Art

The company that was named SBC still existes. As many others have noted, after its acquisition of AT&T, SBC renamed itself AT&T, but the surviving company is the one that was formerly named SBC. The company still exists, just under a different name.

This is not uncommon in the corporate world. The company named North Carolina National Bank changed its named to NCNB National Bank, then changed its name to NationsBank, then acquired Bank of America and changed its name to Bank of America. But it is the same company and that is why Bank of America has its headquarters in Charlotte, N.C.--it's the same company as the one-time North Carolina National Bank. As far as I know, the old Bank of America no longer exists, just as I believe the company once known as American Telephone & Telegraph Company no longer exists.

Historical information for T would be historical information for the company formerly known as SBC, because that's the company that is now T.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock
Loading thread data ...

If you look at companies in California, on the Department of Corporations site, you will see that companies that merged still are listed as "Corporation name suspended". GTE California now Verizon California still has a listing. I don't know the reason behind that other [than that] the company wantes to protect its old corporate name.

Just the other day the FDIC took over a bank called Security Pacific Bank, they used the same name and Corporate ID as the old bank which was bought by Bank of America some 10 years ago. Maybe that is the reason why companies hold onto old names.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.