Re: [Telecom] Re: 911 service not universal

Erie PA (General System) used to use 1171 to get the fire dept and

> rescue squad well into the early 70s at least. > > 112 was the prefix for direct-dialed LD calls. > > 113 was information. > > 114 was repair. > > 116 was the test board (not for the general public, but that was what > you got if you dialed it) > > 118 may have had some function, but I don't remember what it was. > > I always wondered if these sorts of numbering assignments was a > "GTE" thing. > > > ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > Those numbers might have been derived from the MF codes used by > Toll operators and Toll Test Board technicians such as I ;-). > > 121 was the Inward Operator > 131 was info >141 was Rate & Route > 161 was the testboard >
[ . . . ]
Bill Horne > Temporary Moderator

The 113, 114, 116 were pretty standard in step offices of Bell companies, GTE, and other companies going back to the 1920s at least, I believe. Except in places so small that "O-Operator" was used for everything. Two you didn't mention were 110 for Long Distance and 119x for revertive ringing on party lines, the "x" representing the party digit you wanted to call. Similar to J, W, M and one other suffix letter I now forget for two- and four-party lines in manual areas. On your own one-party lines you could dial 1191 to call your own phone. As far as I know, 112 was a GTE thing only. Two adjacent cities in North Texas got DDD about the same time. Denison (Bell-XB) used 1+. Sherman (GTE-SxS) used 112+. The codes used by toll operators after the inroduction of operator toll dialing were, I suspect, probably influenced by the customer dialing codes, but that came several decades after the customer codes. Many larger cities with mostly common-control offices (Panel Type, Rotary [in some independent company offices] and Crossbar) used x11 codes. But multi-office cities that had started out all step found that the 11x codes could be used without difficulty in 5XB offices and probably other types of common-control offices, too. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.
formatting link
Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.