Re: [telecom] FiOS in MDU Buildings [Telecom]

T wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@reader.motzarella.org:

Diesel fuel is widely available, can be stored easily on site, and can be transported in portable cans (or even buckets) in an emergency.

When the gas main goes out, try getting a bucket of natural gas.

:)

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

Diesel is exceedingly viable so long as you understand the risks. Transport is definitely one of those risks which can be alleviated by a larger storage tank.

Do note that the transfer pumps which move the diesel from the large tanks to the closer small tanks should be on generator power and not on utility power. Obvious now yes but this was mentioned a while back in comp.risks.

Not in earthquake country.

You'd also be surprised, or not, just how many gas stations and bulk fuel dealers don't have generators. None that I know of. Maybe Florida is in better shape as I heard the governor there decided to put in a law along those lines given the number of hurricanes which take out power for a while.

Note that the bulk fuel dealers have a lot of anti siphoning devices to combat thieves. And likely legal liability issues if those thieves manage to burn themselves up. So you pretty much have to go through the pumps.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

I was there (BTL) for a few months in 1954.

Yes, but a lot of capacitance or a small battery might have been contemplated.

-- Julian Thomas: snipped-for-privacy@jt-mj.net

formatting link
In the beautiful Genesee Valley of Western New York State! -- -- ... File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)

Reply to
Julian Thomas

Morris was (is) a wire center and had a switch there after the test was over, did it not ??

Reply to
Who Me?

The caps in most motors are starting-only; only a few motors are "cap start/cap run" and those are usually bigger. So the normal grid load is always inductive.

[The starting cap in an induction motor creates a 90 deg phase shift so that the starting and running windings give the one-two umph to get the motor going.]

Yes, ConEd would have to add cap banks to improve the PF. (I see them on PEPCO poles all the time.) On industrial accounts, utilities often nick you a "bad PF" surcharge. I've speced and installed cap banks at pump stations for that reason.

Reply to
David Lesher

The capacitor is only used during starting. Once sufficient speed is reached, a switch operated by centrifugal force opens the starting winding. Thereafter, the load is inductive.

Yes. I see them mounted on the poles.

Reply to
Richard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.