Re: Stock Market Ticker Tape Machines?

> >>> I was wondering what kind of machine, if any, replaced the classic

>>> glass-dome model and continued to produce a tape showing trades. > (Guess I missed the original message, or I would have replied.) > The glass-bell-jar ticker was replaced ca. 1930 by a machine made by > Teletype. It used a six-level start-stop code and printed using a > type wheel. I would have to look this up, but think the speed was 600 > letters per minute, which works out to 100 wpm. The glass bell jar > tickers continued to be used by Western Union to report baseball > scores as late as circa 1950. Sports score reporting was a service of > W.U.; the customers for the service were mostly bookies and other > gamblers. > W.U. made some tape printers for telegrams using the basic mechanism > of the 1930 ticker; this was called the 401-A printer. Teletype made > a low-cost page printer in the late 1930s using much of the same > technology; this was the Model 26. The ticker had no model number. > Those tickers where replaced circa 1965 by a new Teletype ticker > operating at 900 chars/min and often called the "900" ticker for that > reason. It used technology under development for the Model 37 page > printer; but within the Bell System it was called the Model 28 ticker > even though it had little in common with the Model 28 equipment line. > I guess they wanted to reserve Model 37 for the new page printer. The > 900 ticker used the same 6-level code as the earlier ticker. > This ticker could be considered the last successful Teletype product > of the almost-all-mechanical genre. The Model 37 and Model 38 page > printers achieved few sales and never got completely debugged. > Everything after that used a lot of electronics instead of complicated > mechanisms. > jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Check some pictures of these at

formatting link

--reed

Reply to
Reed
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.