Re: Still Waiting for an Answer

>> A week or so ago here, I asked a question about the distinction -- if

>> any -- between 'podcasting' and audio/video 'streaming' which is a >> technique which has been on the net for a long time. >> No one has yet replied! Is 'podcasting' just a new name for an old >> technique? Is it thus named because the (rather specialized) computers >> which are used for receiving 'podcasts' do not typically do any other >> functions like 'normal' computers? Is it because 'podcasters' often >> times do not have any 'regular, over-the-air' type broadcasts to >> accompany their computerized streaming presentations? >> Can anyone answer these questions, or is 'podcasting' just much ado >> about nothing new? > PLEASE remove my email address, too much SPAM as it is. > Podcasting is the process of creating audio files that will be downloaded > into iPods and listened to at the convenience of the downloader. It isn't > much different from downloading a WAV to a Windows PC and listening to it > on a laptop during a long flight. > Actually, the big difference is the iPod is a lot smaller than a > laptop and the batteries should last longer. > For streaming, you have to have connectivity for the entire length of > the artifact (1 hour for an hour long show). With the WAV/podcast, you > only need to be connected long enough to download the file. > - David > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But, if I download the entire file to > whatever system I intended to use to listen, then iPod= 'streaming' in > that case, doesn't it? And if I were so inclined, I could use a > search engine to go around all over the net looking for .wav files, > download them all as found to my jillion GB hard drive and play them > off as desired. Apparently, if I understand your message, podcast is > a way of doing that same thing, but 'more effeciently' and 'quicker'? > PAT]

'Streaming' is "real-time" transfer from the server to the user-machine, at the rate needed for presentation to the user. And only that fast.

"Podcasting" is just high-speed file-transfer, for _later_ listening. second-cousin to napster, kazaa, etc. The audio content is packaged in a format optimized for iPod use. It's *not* 'real time' transfer, the whole idea being that you can download much faster than the listening rate, and you can then be listening _after_ you have disconnected the 'pod' from the Internet.

It's "off-line" audio listening; like off-line mail-reading, back in the days of dial-up. You download a bunch of stuff, _fast_, and then wade through it 'at your leisure', without being tied to the phone line.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.