Re: Spammers Jump on Latest MS Hole

Some of those fears were confirmed when reports surfaced, just days

> after the Aug. 8 patch release, that computers infected with malicious > IRC 'bot' programs

Some questions about today's technology:

What is a "bot" program, as opposed to other kinds of computer programs?

What allows and causes a foreign unauthorized program to start execution on a computer where it doesn't belong? In other words, who presses the start button on a supposedly personal computer to run sabotage? I don't understand how some external person can gain control of my computer, as if my neighbor could drive my automobile from his kitchen window.

were scanning the Internet for Windows > systems that had the MS06-040 vulnerability

What allows a private computer to be scanned by external means (like Spock using his scanners on a planet far below) so that its internal software may be examined and manipulated?

and then using publicly available code

Who wrote such code?

Lastly, why do such vulnerabilities exist in the first place? I keep reading how the present Windows operating system is old; shouldn't all the necessary fixes be developed by now?

How much does it cost for companies to keep applying these patches every week?

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.