Re: Smart Phones (sic) smartphones [telecom]

Sometime last year a major news organization (I think it was ABC)

> announced that the build cost of an iPhone is US$8, which if true > means the markup is over 98% of the inflated price. Last week's Time > magazine devoted its entire news section to a single 24,000-word > piece about the so-called chargemaster, which is the computerized > price list used by hospitals to compute bills.

I'm not sure why you think this is so surprising. Lots of things cost a fraction of what you pay for them and you don't give a second thought. Do you take this same attitude when you go to a restaurant and pay $5 at IHOP for three eggs on a piece of toast or get charged $4.50 for a latte at Starbuck's? Lots of businesses charge a significant markup over what an item costs. Not only do they have other costs than the actual physical cost of the product being offered, [but those] other costs go into providing it to you, [and] the vendor has to factor that into it. Businesses for the most part are in business to make profits and profits are made by marking up the cost of a product. Granted some of it is just opportunistic greed such as what hospitals charge astronomical amounts for procedures and only make those charges assuming that insurance will pick up the charge so they inflate the charge as high as they can get away with.

Reply to
Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

Absolutely. I remember that the most expensive teabag I have at home cost me well under $.05, so I wait to quench my thirst 'til I'm back home again. :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.