Re: Schools Prohibit Personal E-mail Sites

For younger readers, books are selected appropriate to their reading

> skill as well as their age. Most 12 year olds would not know what to > do with ancient literature written in the original Greek or Latin, and > such books would be inappropriate for them.

Good theory, but my experience doesn't seem to jibe with it:

I was in Grady Elementary school in Tampa many long decades ago. The school went through 6th grade, no higher grades around. I was also in

6th grade, highest grade taught at the school. I tried to check out a Sherlock Holmes book from the library, and the librarian wouldn't let me because it was "too hard" for a 6th grader (not true, by the way).

What was it doing in the library if 6th graders shouldn't be reading it? More important, why would a librarian object to a kid attempting a little brain stretching even if it was too hard?

Thus began my lifelong love affair with bookstores and shunning of libraries (perhaps the real story behind the librarian's actions involved some kind of guerilla marketing campaign by bookstores to turn kids off of libraries while they are young and impressionable :-).

-- >>==>> The *Best* political site >>==+ email: snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL | Free Software and Politics

Reply to
Thomas A. Horsley
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.