Re: SBC, Vonage Working on 911 Service Access Deal

All I know is that I got an email from Vonage telling me to activate the 911 by logging into their website and start the activation under the "Features" section of site. I assume that now I just need to diall

911 and it should work.

Jack Decker wrote:

formatting link

SBC, Vonage Working on 911 Service Access Deal > WASHINGTON (Reuters) - SBC Communications Inc. is in talks to provide > Internet telephone provider Vonage Holdings Corp. with enhanced 911 > emergency services for its customers, after an initial fight between > the two carriers. > Initially SBC rejected a request from Vonage to lease access to the > necessary equipment and databases, preferring to focus on an > industrywide effort. Now the two sides are talking about a deal and > going over technological requirements, according to a letter from SBC > made available on Thursday. > Privately held Vonage provides its service using high-speed Internet > connections and does not have access to the traditional 911 system > where a phone number and address pop up in emergency call centers. > Instead, the company's 550,000 customers must activate a 911 service > by registering an address which is used to send calls to > lower-priority lines at call centers. That has drawn complaints that > customers are unaware they must activate the service. > "We have offered to negotiate commercial agreements ...," Christopher > Rice, SBC executive vice president for network planning and > engineering, said in an April 18 letter to Vonage Chief Executive > Jeffrey Citron. > Regardless, Rice told Vonage that the carrier would have to reach > agreements with each public safety entity for delivery of 911 calls. > Full story at:

formatting link

How to Distribute VoIP Throughout a Home: >
formatting link
> If you live in Michigan, subscribe to the MI-Telecom group: >
formatting link
[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I _strongly recommend_ you wait until you get email back from them saying it is installed in your case. They usually send email to you confirming it; in some cases the municipality will also advise you. (At least in my town they did.) PAT]
Reply to
zcarenow
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.