Re: Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps

>> You mean the checks and balances that are protecting the non-citizens

>> who apparently have no rights? > What a strange, if thoroughly modern, point of view. What, exactly, > makes you think that non-citizens of a given polity are entitled to > respect for any "rights" its own citizens enjoy when they choose, > without the same obligations of those citizens, to reside within it?

Wow. Better not go outside the borders of your own country. You should have no claim against having _anything_ done to you if you don't believe in rights for non-citizens.

I don't say that the rights of non-citizens come without obligations. As a visitor to a foreign country, I have, for example, the obligation to observe their laws even if I disagree with them.

Just as the rights of non-citizens are not as extensive as those of the non-citizen, neither are the obligations (for example, I don't get mandatory military service by visiting a country). But neither the rights nor the obligations should be zero.

My belief that this should be so is based on the same reason that laws and rights should apply to citizens: The opposite would be disorder. The only difference is whether that disorder is intra- or inter-national.

Steve

Reply to
steve_schefter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.