Re: Private monopolies failed to deliver fiber. Now it's time for municipal broadband [telecom]

By Don McIntosh

> > In the Willamette Valley, you have two choices if you want high-speed > Internet access: cable monopoly Comcast or telephone landline > monopoly CenturyLink. For decades, without ever investing in > fiber-optic cables to residents' homes, the two monopolies have > ratcheted up the rent on their legacy coaxial cables and twisted > copper wires, all while confusing customers with complicated package > deals and temporary introductory rates - and maintaining > legendarily poor customer service. It's no wonder giant cable and > telephone providers are consistently ranked among the most hated > companies in America. But what are you gonna do about it? > > Now, coming soon to Portland City Council, is a union-backed plan for > public-owned Internet access that would be cheaper than Comcast and 40 > times as fast. Not only that, but it would pay for itself and cost > taxpayers nothing. > >
formatting link

Generally speaking, I think privately owned and operated systems would be more efficient. However, there are times when the private sector has failed to deliver, and government must step in. In the broadband access area, it is clear there are plenty of gaps, even in developed areas.

The greed and arrogance of the private carriers is ugly.

There are many examples of municipally owned utilities, such as water, sewage, gas, and electricity. I don't know what the overall experience is in terms of service quality, reliability, customer service, and rates. I do know of examples of good and bad on both sides.

For instance, one city has municipally owned gas and water (separate departments). The water works operates very efficiently with low rates, despite aging pipes always breaking. The gas works operates poorly with very high rates, explosions, and many complaints. Why one city department would run well and the other poorly I can't say.

Historically, the United States was well served by a privately owned regulated telephone system. Other countries had government owned telephone systems that weren't as good. Yet in contrast, that business model failed with Western Union and telegraph service; both the company and regulators made bad decisions in the 1970s.

Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.