Re: Principals Claim Right to Search Cell Phones

You obviously haven't been paying attention to court cases involving

> students rights -- the court's consensus appears to be that students > have no rights at all. Certainly there have been several cases that > said they have to submit to drug tests if the schools decide they want > drug testing, don't know why the courts would ever decide differently > for cell phone searches.

While drug tests are troublesome, at least they (hopefully) are specific and accurate and objective. Drugs are illegal and dangerous and kids shouldn't be doing them. However, I don't like drug sniffing dogs in parking lots.

I wasn't asking about the legality of such searches, but rather the public need and justification for schools to probe into a student's private life and student owned things. I fail to see how those warrantless searches help the public safety except in the most extreme circumstances.

I also find it objectionable because it leads into the areas of thought crime and guilt by association. It's one thing if I'm seen passing large amounts of cash with a known drug dealer, but something else entirely if I merely happen to have his phone number.

I also strongly object to schools looking at a student's personal notebooks; again, that becomes risk of a thought crime and violating private property and private space.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.