Re: Old Interurbans

On Saturday, March 3, RFD-TV will telecast 'Midwest=20

> Trolley Tour Part 2.' Features Indiana, Cleveland,=20 > St. Louis, Illinois Terminal, North Shore Line winter > scenes" as part of its regular weekly series "Trains and > Locomotives." I watched it earlier this week; there are > a few brief scenes of the Skokie Swift in action. > Saturday, March 3, 9:00 AM EST > REF-TV

Lisa Hancock asked:

Would you know if this will be on any other cable=20 > stations (ie BRV, Travel, etc.)?

Not that I know of.

RFD-TV is a non-profit corporation that gets its revenue from advertising and viewer contributions ($30/year). Advertising is minimal: only at hourly breaks, but never during programs. The target audience is rural America, and the programming reflects it: agriculture, gardening, animal husbandry, farm equipment, horsemanship, country music, cattle auctions, FAA activities.

DirecTV (Channel 379) and Dish Network (Channel 9409) both carry RFD-TV. Judging from the posts I read on SCTE-list, many rural cable systems also carry it, but the larger urban systems don't.

The companies that provide the "Trains and Locomotives" programs are (typically) small outfits that cater to railfans; they provide the programs to RFD-TV at no charge as a form of advertising. The programs usually include end-of-program plugs to draw attention to their producers' other programs.

Commercial outfits like Travel Channel d> Unfortunately, most of the history of the old interurbans

has been lost. Unless some dedicated railfan decided > that a photographic record was important (and his family > preserved the records after his death), images just don't > exist.

PAT responded:

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That is not so in the case > of ours! A 30 minute video entitled "The Last Run" is > devoted to the "Union Traction Company" (1904-1937) and > its followup company called "Union Electric Company" > (1937-1947) ...

That's good news. One of these days, it might appear on RFD-TV. If so, I' ll let you know.

And later:

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Another excellent interurban line for > many years was the Chicago, South Shore and South Bend Railroad (the > electric orange train which ran between Randolph Street in downtown > Chicago and South Bend, Indiana ...

The aforementioned 'Midwest Trolley Tour' program (which started this tread) includes footage of the South Shore line (although it may have been Part 1 rather than Part 2). Both were produced by Mark 1 Video

formatting link
Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.