Re: NYC Students and Parents Want Cell Phone Ban Lifted

I live in Wake County, NC. They dropped the ban on cell phones a few years back. Good thing. What they do have is a ban on use during school unless specifically permitted. First offense you get it back at the end period. After that your parents have to come get it. If that happens a few times you might get suspended. The reason I mention where I'm from is that after the big city districts we're one of the faster growing ones. Adding about a next of 5000 to 7000 students a year.

But since my kids go to schools nearly 10 miles from our house in opposite directions and participate in after school activities, cells phones are almost required.

When I grew up, most of us > By Christine Kearney

New York may be a city of incessant cell phone talkers, but students > vowed on Wednesday they would hit the "off" button during classes as > they battled a ban on cell phones in schools. > Speaking at a city council hearing where lawmakers introduced a bill > aimed at overriding a ban on cell phones enforced under Mayor Michael > Bloomberg, high school students and their parents spoke out against > the unusually stringent anti-cell phone policy. > "I feel mature enough to be able to turn off my cell phone in class," > said LaGuardia high school student Jenna Gogan, 16. "This is about > students' safety, because, especially in New York City, many parents > need to feel reassured they can contact their kids going to and from > school." > Dissent over the ban in New York escalated recently when Bloomberg > introduced metal scanners and random checks at some of the city's > 1,408 public high schools. The new scanners used to protect the city's > 1.1 million students had led to the confiscation of more than 3,000 > cell phones and 36 weapons, mostly knives and razor blades. > Detroit and Philadelphia also bar cell phones from schools while Los > Angeles, Boston, Chicago and Las Vegas allow them in the schools but > prohibit their use during classes. > During the hearing, Bloomberg's representatives said the policy dated > back to a 1988 ban on pagers and was needed to prevent students from > using phones to send and receive text messages, taking photographs, > surfing the Web and playing video games. > "Cell phones, with their multiple capabilities, are not just phones," > deputy mayor Dennis Walcott told the hearing. "Students have used cell > phones to summon friends for fights, to cheat on exams and to take > illicit photographs." > But city council members said crime and disruptive behavior would > occur regardless of the ban and any new law passed would allow > students only to use phones before or after school and not during > class. > "Kids pass notes back and forth but that doesn't mean we take away > pens," said council member Belinda Katz. > Carmen Colon, a mother of three, said her kids needed phones so she > could "juggle their lives" and keep track of them. > "This is a big city, it's tough and a whole lot of things go on," said > her son Andre Green, 13. Asked if he had heard phones ring during > class, he answered: "Yes, but sometimes it's just their mother > calling." > Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. > NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the > daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at >
formatting link
. Hundreds of new > articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at >
formatting link
(or) >
formatting link
> For more news headlines and stories, please go to: >
formatting link
Reply to
DLR
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.