Re: Nokio 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?

My new Nokia 6010 has an interesting and somewhat annoying habit. If

> it's anywhere within a 5 foot radius of my PC speakers, I can hear it > periodically transmitting something (sort of a rhythmic > dum-diddy-dum-diddy-dum-dum-dum). Sounds like static, but definitely > with a paced rhythm. I haven't timed the intervals exactly, but it > seems to take place every 17-20 minutes. In a related activity, I > hear a big burst of static on my PC speakers, and then some rhythmic > noise, about 5-7 seconds before the cell phone begins to ring. > This is the first cell phone I've had that caused these noises. Do I > have a mutant phone? Is this anything to be concerned about? > Ted

What you've got is *normal* operation of the phone. Any cell phone does much similar things, on a similar schedule. The phone transmits "every once in a while", a "Here I am" notification to the network, letting it know that the subscriber is on-line/available, as well as a double-check on the transmit-power-level. needed to reach the cell tower, and a bunch of other 'housekeeping' details. In addition, before an incoming call 'rings', the cell system sends an "inquiry" to find out where you are, i.e. are you still in the 'last reported location', or somewhere else nearby, or 'not online at all'? Once you're "location verified", then it'll attempt the ring.

Now, _why_ this stuff is being picked up on the PC speakers -- that's a whole nuther story. Could be that you're on a different frequency band than prior phones. Could be a somewhat 'dirty' signal (relatively unlikely) from the phone, Could be any of a bunch of other things.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.