Re: Mysterious Calls From: 800-706-0971

I keep getting calls from 800-706-0971. Its listed on my caller ID

> several time a day every day during the week.

A quick Google search turned up this:

formatting link
They list 800-706-0971 as "0870 numbers" as in +44 870, which is a semi-premium prefix in the United Kingdom. 0870 calls are billed at "national rate," but in practice the rate may be higher than for an ordinary domestic long-distance call, and the operator may receive part of the revenue from the call charges.

It isn't clear at all how the number is supposed to work. I suppose perhaps you could dial the U.S. 800 number, enter an account code, and then be able to dial British 0870 numbers, but that doesn't sound like a viable business model.

Of course, the whole thing may be a lot of hooey, because they list my personal 800 number as something other than my personal phone. Another company I'm familiar with shows up as "reverse lookup phone number address," which has absolutely nothing to do with their business.

It looks to me like 800domains.com is just a list of every possible

800 number, with Google-bait thrown in to try to bump them up the listings: "dns reverse lookup failed, reverse lookup phone number address, netscape white pages reverse lookup, my email address, etc.

Oh, well; I guess that puts you back to square one, because all the other Google hits on the number in question point to this thread in the Digest.

Linc Madison * San Francisco, California * snipped-for-privacy@suespammers.org * primary e-mail: Telecom at LincMad dot com Political blog: "The Third Path" DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED E-MAIL TO THIS ADDRESS. You have been warned.

Reply to
Linc Madison
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.