Re: Long Distance = 211 (was Sid Ceasar and Phones)

I wonder whether "211" was just a California thing in those

> days? If so, wasn't Jimmy, Raymond, and Grace (oh what a > beautiful woman ;-) in an apartment house in NYC?

Greenwich Village.

formatting link

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I know we had '211' in the > Chicago area > Was this true in LA, which was still primarily step at this > time? Most predominantly step cities used "110" for the Long > Distance operator.

Some godawful Jerry Lewis movie had him sitting at a manual PBX impersonating a female operator. At one point, the telco operator tells him to call 110 if he wants long distance. I don't remember anything more about this film because it was so awful that I walked out.

Predominantly panel type cities (including those that had some > crossbar mixed in by this time) used "211."

This gets us back to the endless N11 v. 11N thread. Our expert on such things is Mark Cuccia, but I suspect that Mark has other things on his mind right now.

Speaking of Mark, has anybody heard from him since Katrina hit New Orleans?

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.