Re: Local Exchange Not Local in Sylva, NC

I recently moved to Sylva, NC to work in nearby Cullowhee, NC (it's

> about a fifteen minute drive (tops) between the two places). > Our local calling area is between three small cities, Sylva, > Cullowhee, and Cashiers. Anything outside that zone is long distance > for us. > I acquired Voicepulse VOIP service when I moved here. They offered > Sylva and Cashiers, NC telephone exchanges. I got a Sylva number on > the 534 exchange. It's been working fine. > Today, I tried to dial into my home number from work so I could > check my voicemail. I dialed 9 and then 53 and got no farther. It > retuned a busy signal. We tried it from several different phones > and got the same results. I called the telecom guys and told them > of this dilemma. Despite the fact that I had explained about it > being from a VOIP provider, he asked me several times if it was a > Verizon exchange. I told him no, it wasn't. It was a special > services exchange in the Sylva, NC area. > He told me he couldn't get it added to the switch without going > through a bunch of hoops (a number of people had to sign off on it). > I couldn't believe it. All he should have to do is call their > provider and confirm that it is a local exchange.

Your place of work has a PBX. Your home exchange is not known to the 'dialing plan' for that switch.

"Company policy" has a problem, regarding handling exchanges assigned to CLECs.

This is not an issue that _you_ need to fight. See to it that your

*boss* has your home phone number, for 'emergency' use.

Make sure said boss knows that you _cannot_ be reached via a 'company' phone due to a 'programming problem' in the company's switch.

Meantime, my colleagues cannot call me at home (from work) when a need > arises.

Isn't that a SHAME!

You cannot be disturbed on your non-work time, because the company you work for won't let other employees call and bother you.

Some people would _pay_extra_ for that kind of an arrangement! :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.