Re: Is Verizon Wireless Sabotaging Older Cell Phones?

>> Hypothesis 2, the more paranoid one: Some people have been suggesting

>> that Verizon have been deliberately breaking these phones. The reason >> given is that they aren't E911 compliant, and if they were still >> functional, Verizon would have to *give* you another one in order to >> be in compliance with the minimum 85% that the FCC wants. Now that >> it's "broken", they can *sell* you another one, or lock you in to a >> new 2-year contract. (Note that this doesn't necessarily contradict >> the first theory.) > You may have some validity in wondering about the second.

OTOH, the Nokia CDMA phones traditionally had issues. My GTE Wireless

2180 (activated 1996, CDMA 800MHz and AMPS 800MHz) was a solid performer, but many of the 5180, 5185 and 6185 models just sucked.

Verizon (and Sprint, the other big US CDMA carrier) stopped selling Nokia for a while.

Nokia finally wised up and started licensing Qualcomm's CDMA chipset instead of trying to do their own, and as a result, their products have returned to Sprint and VZW stores over the past few years.

It's not the first time a cellular company has used underhanded > practices to force people to buy new equipment and not re-emburse them > for doing so. > Cingular has done that with their acquired AT&T Wireless subscribers > in many cases.

I'd not be surprised if VZW did intentionally do *something* to the phone, but I'm not sure how they would have done it, except perhaps by pushing a bum PRL to the phone. The phones in question can't do over-the-air firmware updates.

Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED Company website:

formatting link
blog, resume, portfolio:
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Reply to
Steve Sobol
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.