Re: Internet Phone Companies May Cut Off Customers

Providers of Internet-based phone services may be forced next week to

> cut off tens of thousands of customers who haven't formally > acknowledged that they understand the problems they may encounter > dialing 911 in an emergency.

I have a Vonage box that I use only occasionally. I'm signed up for the $15/mo service; originally I saw it as an inexpensive way to "park" a couple of phone numbers, but Vonage was unable to transfer the numbers in (partly my fault) so I never really got much use out of it.

I'm probably going to be canceling the service soon in any case. In the meantime, experimentally, I'm leaving it alone and intentionally not responding to their notices just to see what will happen with this whole 911 thing.

On July 3 I got my first notice saying, "In response to a recently announced FCC 911 ruling, we are required to ensure that you acknowledge your understanding of our 911 Dialing feature."

A week later (7/11) I got another: "...due to a recently announced FCC

911 ruling, we are required to ensure that you acknowledge your understanding of these differences. To continue to provide you with premium Vonage service, please login to your web account to review this feature and acknowledge your understanding."

A few days later (7/15): "Recently we've sent you notifications about the important differences between our 911 Dialing feature and traditional 911 ... [P]lease Click Here to view a notice on our 911 Dialing and acknowledge that you have read and understand the information. Please do so now as failure to do so may affect your Vonage service."

Then (7/19): "You may have missed the recent notifications requesting that you view a notice on our 911 Dialing. Click Here to view the important differences ... Failure to do so may result in a disruption of your Vonage service."

On 7/21, 7/28, 8/4, 8/11: "We have sent numerous notifications requiring that you view a notice on our 911 Dialing. Click Here now to view the important differences ... Failure to do so may require us to restrict your Vonage service, as per the FCC."

On 8/18, then daily from 8/22 to present: "We have sent numerous notifications requiring that you view a notice on our 911 Dialing. Pursuant to an Order from the Federal Communications Commission, if you do not acknowledge this notice, we will be required to restrict your outbound calling for your Vonage service."

Along with the latest note, I've also been getting daily recorded messages on the Vonage line.

It's been interesting to watch the details fill in as time goes on. At the moment (8/27) the Vonage line is still working normally; we'll see what happens Tuesday :-)

Gordon S. Hlavenka

formatting link
If your teacher tells you to Question Authority Should you do it?

Reply to
Gordon S. Hlavenka
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.