Re: Google Maps

I love all the remarkable, almost unbelievable and unlimited features of Google. But it truly bothers me that what is fast becoming THE primary reference and search tool and "window on the world" for me and so many others is founded on and controlled by an entirely commercial and primarily advertising-supported financial base.

Sergey Brin and the other founders of Google can say all they want about their company's ultimate purpose being to "do good", and I'm quite willing to believe they're sincere about this. But they won't always be around and may not always have control of Google, and in the end, "He who pays the piper calls the tune." Think about the power and the ability to control just what information you are provided -- or are NOT provided -- the potential control that could be exercised over what commercial, political, technical, ideological, environmental, or other information is made readily available to you -- by less idealistic people who might (in fact, are certain to) acquire ownership of Google some time in the future.

I think the viewpoint expressed in what I sometimes use as a sig file contains way too much truth:

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord Acton (1834-1902)

"Dependence on advertising tends to corrupt. Total dependence on advertising corrupts totally." My own equivalent for today.

Reply to
AES
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.