Re: From our Archives: History of Standard Oil and Bell System

The AMOCO label has been gone from the Chicago area for several years.

> They're all BP now. > And every time I see a BP station I think back to Dick Martin and "You > bet your bippee!"

When I used to work at a BP station I jokingly called them the Big Prices Oil Company.

The amusing and highly ironic thing about my nickname is that BP bought Atlantic Richfield in 2000. ARCO's stations are positioned as price leaders. In fact, only Valero (another discount brand, owned by Diamond Shamrock) matches BP's prices at the ARCO stations in this area. Chevron is far and away the most expensive gas station chain in SoCal. Often the local Chevron is 10-15c/gal more expensive than a nearby ARCO.

JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / snipped-for-privacy@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638)

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Reply to
Steve Sobol
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.