Re: First Place, Web Promotion, Unsolicited Calls?

Has anyone recently received an unsolicited call from someone

> representing "First Place?" They apparently make a Web promotion > product. Any information at all would be helpful.

Yeah, feh ... can't remember which product First Place Software publishes ... WebPosition Gold, maybe?

... No, it looks like WPG was bought by WebTrends.

Heh, but when I do a search on First Place Software, a sponsored link to WPG comes up, so I guess I was right!

Today I received an unsolicited call from them. The agent asked if I > owned outshine.com and then told me he had a product that would help > my site to make a lot of money. He asked me to open up a Web browser. > Unfortunately, I didn't give him a chance to give me a URL. > I told him to put me on his do not call list. He REFUSED. I asked > for his name. He refused. I told him he was violating at least US > law, and he needed to respond. He simply repeated, "don't you want to > make money with your site?"

Idiots. Yup, WebTrends was the company that had a buggy log analysis product and couldn't help me fix the many bugs I had over a period of about eighteen months, and started sending me nastygrams about trademark infringement when I registered WebTrendsSucks.com even though I had just registered it, and never used it for email or a web site.

WebTrends is at 851 SW 6th Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97204. If you were on the federal DNC list, the FTC can fine them for the violation. If not, you may be able to sue them yourself under the 1991 Telephone Consumer Protection Act. I would not advise doing anything, however, unless you call a lawyer (except if you're going to file the DNC violation with the FTC).

JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA -

formatting link
- 888.480.4NET (4638) Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / snipped-for-privacy@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"The wisdom of a fool won't set you free" --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Reply to
Steve Sobol
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.