Re: Finally Cutting the POTS Cord

>>
formatting link

>> Above link is a picture of the inside of my outside telecom box here >> in the USA. I want to route my Vonage VoIP service to my internal >> phone network, so first I am going to disconnect the internal network >> from the POTS provider as a test. I am guessing that I just flip >> those little connectors up and then pull out the solid blue and >> blue-white wires, being careful to keep them arranged for easy >> reconnection. > That doesn't look like a standard demarc to me. Maybe you are in a > multifamily dwelling, or maybe I am out of date. The demarcs I am > familiar with use an RJ-11 plug on your side to plug into a socket on > the telco side. This allows you to test whether a problem is inside > wiring or telco by unplugging your whole inside plant and plugging in > a known good phone. >> Is there anything else I need to worry about? Also, is having four >> wires standard for a single line? Maybe that is how I can do three >> way calling and call waiting, but I never thought about it before. > Four wires are standard for residential wiring. As PAT notes, only red > and green are used for the first line. This allows a second pair for a > second line, or a ground connection for grounded ringing (mostly used > in old two party lines). > As PAT also notes, getting the telco hooked up across your VOIP > service is ungood. The trouble with doing your connection at the > demarc is that telco has access to it and may, possibly inadvertently, > reconnect themselves. Also, some telcos leave disconnected lines > connected to the switch and able to call 911, much like an unassigned > cell phone. You might be better off to cut into your house wiring > before the first tap and either disconnect the telco there, or move it > over to line two, so you could use their 911 service in an emergency. > I don't know how many terminals you intend to bridge onto your Vonage > box, but, if it is like the Packet8 DAT310, it may have trouble > driving some of them. I can ring two phones just fine, but there > doesn't seem to be quite enough talk battery to keep my speakerphone > happy. Of course, that may be more the phone's fault for being overly > greedy. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: What I do here is the Bell System > demarc box is on the wall of my house outside with _two_ lines there > from telco but I only use one. I have tape around the modular > connector of the second, unused line. I have a small PBX unit inside > my house, in a closet near my computer area. From the outside demarc, > I bring the one working pair there into my house on my own wires, and > into the PBX where it becomes 'dial 9' for outgoing local calls. Then > I have my Vonage (VOIP) adapter box near the computer with a > connection into the broadband cable line. I go from there with my > personally owned modular cable to another input on the PBX, where it > becomes 'dial 8' for long distance calls. Both lines (Vonage VOIP) and > telco also go through a two-line splitter to which I have a caller ID > device and an extra loud ringer (in my old age and feeble condition I > am also a wee bit hard of hearing these days as any of you who > telephone me know when I periodically ask you to repeat yourself. Then > I have several pairs running from the PBX back down the cable to the > outside and back to the telco demarc box where _everything_ telco > related has been disconnected except for the aforementioned one > incoming line. > So to make a local call from any extension, it travels down the pair > to the demarc, back in to the PBX, and dial 9 sends it back out the > cable to the demarc and off to telco. To make a long distance call from > any extension it travels down the pair to the demarc, back in to the > PBX where dial 8 sends it across the room to the VOIP box and the > broadband internet. To call around my house, it travels down the pair > to the demarc, back inside to the PBX where dialing 100 through 105 or > 0 Zero treats the call as needed, ships it back through the cable to > the outside demarc where it gets distributed to where it should go. PAT]
Reply to
BrianEWilliams
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.