Re: Fax Station ID

Robert B>> Sorry, John, but you are *wrong*.

>> You, "the person" sending the fax are *still* required to place the >> identification information at the top/bottom of every page, or on the >> first page. >> You are correct that _equipment_ manufactured before 20 Dec 1992 does >> not have to do this 'automatically', HOWEVER, just because you are >> using such equipment you are _not_ exempt from the requirement of 47 >> USC 227 (d) (1). > So when FAX.COM sends me junk faxes and they put MY OWN PHONE NUMBER > in as the header on the fax, and also send MY OWN NUMBER as the CLID > info (from what is likely a PRI they are using to war dial fax > numbers), they are at least DOUBLY breaking the law, huh?

Yuppers. *YOU* can take them to court for violation of 47 USC 227, and clearly show 'wilful and deliberate' non-compliance. The mere violation entitles you to 'statutory damages' of $500 per fax. The 'wilful...' part entitles you to _triple_ that amount, per fax.

Faking the Caller-ID, runs afoul of FTC 'telemarketing rules', +and+ similar FCC rules. The govt. has to go after them on that, but it is $11,000 in fines for *each* instance.

Note: What you're getting isn't from "FAX.COM" any more. The feds _did_ sue them out of existence. The perps behind that operation, _didn't_ "learn from the experience", however, and _despite_ being named *personally* in the court orders, have set up a new network of sham corporations to continue their abusive ways.

The "wheels of justice" are grinding slowly, but when the hammer falls, there _will_ be prison time involved. The Feds do _not_ take it lightly when somebody *deliberately* sets out to violate their orders.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.