Re: DO NOT! DO NOT Use Cingular Go Phone

I have heard problems from people using pre-paid phones, such as

> "Trac" phone (believe it's offered by Verizon). Yes, the service > offices were international and no help at all.

Tracfone is NOT Verizon. Tracfone is not owned, and the service is not offered, by any major carrier. In fact, Tracfones sold in different areas use different networks.

Net10 Wireless, the 10c/minute prepay service just launched by Tracfone, exclusively uses Cingular GSM. But Tracfone is separate from Cingular and all of the major carriers.

I don't understand either why the wireless companies treat these > ad-hoc customers so poorly. Maybe because they really want the > guaranteed $40/month customers and hope they'll spend money on premium > services to generate even more profit.

A friend who owns an ISP here made an interesting point. Cingular, Verizon Wireless, Sprint PCS, Alltel ... all of those wireless services are owned by wireline companies (in Verizon's case, only 55% because the company that owns the other 45% is not a wireline carrier).

And you know the kind of service the wireline providers offer. :)

Do cell phone plans still charge per call?

Not that I know of.

JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / snipped-for-privacy@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638)

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Reply to
Steve Sobol
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.