Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster

>> By MATT RICHTEL and JOHN MARKOFF

>> Mr. Tucker, an Internet industry executive who holds a Ph.D. in >> computer science, decided that rather than take the time to remove the >> offending software, he would spend $400 on a new machine. >> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And how long do they have those _new_ >> machines until they also get polluted and have to be replaced? [...] > If he spends that $400 (actually, $499 or so) on a Mac Mini, he can > probably go for a good long time. There are no known viruses on OS/X. > I don't know if anything bad can happen from using IE on the Mac; I > don't believe so. Safari is not perfect, but it works just fine for > almost all of my browsing. One thing I like in Safari: there is a > pull-down option in Safari for resetting *everything*: cache, cookies, > etc. I do this periodically -- I like to flush all my cookies > periodically just as a regular practice. > The only real software people will need in general is Office 2004. For > most, the student edition should work just fine for their home needs. > If there is not a lot of need for compatibility, the $80 iWork package > (Presentation software + Apple word processor) should work just fine. > The main thing lacking in iWork is a spreadsheet; Apple should address > that in the next release.

"Open Office" runs just fine on MAC's. (variant of BSD). No need to spend any monies purchasing M$ Office 2004.

Reply to
Tim Keating
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.