Re: Confused About Net Neutrality

Hi,

> Been trying to keep up with the Net Neutrality debate but obviously > it's a confusing issue. My question is, don't we already pay for faster > service? Don't websites pay based on the amount of bandwidth they need > to serve out? I know I pay a premium price for cable internet service > because I get more bandwidth. Seems like most people are willing to > keep going as we are now -- where the price is proportional to the > speed. > How is what the telecoms are proposing different? Are they suggesting > that they should be allowed to arbitrarily limit or increase the > speeds with which certain sites or traffic can reach me, regardless of > what that site and I are paying in terms of bandwidth?

To me, the essence is that they should just *transmit* whatever packets I send thru them into the Internet or receive back from the Internet thru them, transmitting those packets both way through their facilities at whatever bandwidth capabilities I'm paying them for, but without them *knowing* or *caring* or being in any way influenced by whatever recipients are on the other end of my communications.

They and we may, in fact, ultimately have to live with government laws that require them to record and store every site that we communicate with, though this will be a civil rights obscenity.

And it may be a losing fight to stop them from noting that I buy a lot of books on line and turning my name over to used book dealers to spam me.

But I certainly don't want them *ever* redirecting some of my packets to some other URL of their choosing, because they've made a commercial deal with the alternative site.

And I don't want them transmitting packets to or from BordersBooks through their system faster than amazon.com packets (thus making BordersBooks look like a more responsive site) because BordersBooks pays them a behind-the-scenes bribe to do so (or sending streaming video signals from some sites faster than from other sites, because of similar bribes).

In other words, none of their technical actions should depend on what the content is of the packets they're sending me. But, the last two items above are (a) things they want and intend to do, and (b) things that are absolutely unacceptable.

Reply to
AES
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.