Re: Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?

I recently bought a cordless ph> "To reduce the risk of fire, use only 3.6V 850mAh Nickel Cadmium

> (Ni-Cad) cordless telephone replacement battery pack." > I've heard about the dreaded "memory effect" with NiCd batteries, so > I'm interested in replacing it with a NiMH one. Someone who is > selling a 3.6V 1000mAH NiMH battery on Ebay claims it works with my > phone, but will it really be safe? Wouldn't want to install a NiMH > battery and have the house burn down.

The NiMH battery will power the phone just fine, once it's charged. But you need to have a charger designed for NiMH batteries. Some Ni-Cad chargers also are designed to charge NiMH batteries, but some are not. (I assume there is a difference in charging current or something.) Don't use NiMH batteries in a charger designed only for Ni-Cads. Since you will undoubtedly be charging the batteries in the phone, not swapping them out into a charger, you shouldn't use NiMH batteries in a phone that says to only use Ni-Cads.

The only exception I would make to this is if the phone vendor sells a NiMH replacement battery specifically intended to be used in the phone in question. And I would go with the vendor's battery, in that case.

Michael D. Sullivan Bethesda, MD (USA) (Replace "example.invalid" with "com" in my address.)

Reply to
Michael D. Sullivan
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.