Re: Can I Substitute a NiMH Battery for NiCd in a Cordless Phone?

I recently bought a cordless ph> "To reduce the risk of fire, use only 3.6V 850mAh Nickel Cadmium

> (Ni-Cad) cordless telephone replacement battery pack." > I've heard about the dreaded "memory effect" with NiCd batteries, so > I'm interested in replacing it with a NiMH one. Someone who is > selling a 3.6V 1000mAH NiMH battery on Ebay claims it works with my > phone, but will it really be safe? Wouldn't want to install a NiMH > battery and have the house burn down. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: 3.6 at 850 is _close enough_ to 3.6 at > 1000 that I think it should work. The difficulty with swapping > batteries around randomly however is not so much that your house would > burn down as it is that differences in those batteries could possibly > cause some slow degredation on your electronics unit and cause it to > fry out prematurely. Your voltage (3.6) is critical; you want to avoid > increasing _low voltages_ very much. A device which calls for 3.6 > should pretty much be confined to 3.6. You can play around with the > amperage a bit however; 1000 will work fine with something rated for > 850. But make certain the battery contacts line up correctly and do > not cause a short circuit accidentally. It would be a shame to waste > that new battery as soon as you got it. PAT]

Many places sell batteries for cordless phones and have cross-reference guides by model number, also by size, shape, voltage and type of connector used.

The battery packages have a list of cordless phone model numbers they are designed for. Wal-Mart carries a pretty extensive line of cordless phone batteries at competitive prices, probably not much more than the shipping costs charged by an eBay seller.. The ones I have seen in Wal-Mart are GE/Sanyo brand. I have also seen cordless phone batteries in many other places; Walgreen's for one, I believe.

Make sure the connector matches.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.