Re: Bell System Phone Label Code?

That's a pretty good guess. I saw a touch-tone wall phone that's still hard-wired (non modular) where Ma Bell put it and still has its original number card (this one happens to be a card, not a sticker), and sure enough there's no M on it. This phone is in Northwestern Bell territory and was probably installed between 1967 and 1969 based on it being touch-tone and not having the 1969-present Bell logo on it.

If it stands for Modular, I wonder if it's sort of a disclaimer, since the reality of a modular phone is that it's far easier to move it, therefore there's more of a chance that the number card/sticker could be wrong if the customer connected the phone to a different line.

I d> Allen Newman wrote:

> On the number cards/labels affixed to latter-decades' Bell System >> phones, there was a letter M stamped like this: > Could it have meant "modular" since that number card was intended for > modular phones installed by the customer? They used to give them out > at Phone Center stores. > I didn't care for them since it was a sticker, not a card. Admittedly, > for most people that what was best. However, since I knew how to open > a dial, I wanted a card to mount behind it and didn't want some sticker > fouling my dial. Also, they used a stamper that was in relatively > small type size compared to the bigger size used by traditional > installers. Of course all they had was all-number, no letters. In our > area, we were still using letters in a limited manner. To this day, > the official internal identifier for telephone districts in our area > was the old exchange name from way back.
Reply to
Allen Newman
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.