Re: AT&T Licensed the Transistor For Free

snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> I presume other Bell Labs patents were also available free; >> indeed, I never knew of AT&T making money from licensing >> its many inventions. It appears patents were more for >> freedom of use than profit. IBM adopted a similar policy >> in the 1950s. Both did so from anti-trust settlements. > Don't I wish that were true! A company I once worked for got > sued by AT&T for patent infringement, and spent a considerable > effort in proving that we were not infringing. They came back > with something to the effect that, "You don't get it. Here are > fifty more patents you are infringing on. We have thousands more > once you prove that you're not infringing on these. Just give up > and pay us!" > I don't know the whole story -- I was not working there at the > time -- but as I understand it, the settlement was a yearly fee > in a rather significant amount (for a small company). > Mark

Folks at misc.int-property may find this post interesting.

U.S. Constitution, Article. I. Section. 8. (1): " . . . promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts" -- how all those legal complexities in the patent system and all those all-too-easily obtained trivial patents are _really_ employed in practice?

Reply to
AES
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.