Re: AT&T 'Family' Reunion: Merger Approved

snipped-for-privacy@bbs.cpcn.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@telecom-digest.org:

I like the commentators (like Newsweek) that suggested customers > keep a landline as an emergency spare if they get VOIP. That's bad > for two reasons: 1) it gives the Bell companies the scraps of little > business while the juicy profits go to the new guys. 2) It means > the new guys don't have to upgrade their systems to maximum > reliability -- as the old Bell companies offer* -- because they have > old Bell being their safety shield. That's not fair to Bell -- to > maintain capacity for someone ELSE's troubles. > *When there was a nasty power failure or other disaster, only the > traditional landlines kept working. The CO's had heavy construction > and diesel generators and batteries. The wireless and cable companies > had very little capacity for emergency traffic AND we learned they had > very little battery backup in their intermediate relay stations and > towers. (My cable has no such backup in power failures; my VOIP will > be dead in a power failure).

As I mentioned when this came up before, the "Old Bell" companies no longer seem to care about this traditional quality of backup service:

formatting link

Paul

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.